Ever since I was little, it has been a family tradition for me to bake cookies on Christmas Eve. As most of you know, I recently decided to become vegan [Read my blog Making the Jump From Vegetarian to Vegan] and I’ve been working on expanding my vegan cooking and baking capabilities. While most cookie recipes call for eggs and milk, I wanted to try my hand at making vegan snickerdoodles this year. Let me tell you – these are honestly some of the best cookies I’ve ever had! They are quick, easy, and super fun to make. Plus, the cookie dough is safe to eat!!
The trick to making vegan snickerdoodles is that they need to be soft. I recommend not baking them too long, or to even try pulling them out of the oven every few minutes to make sure they are not overcooked. You also want them to be thick, so don’t roll the dough balls too small. This will help you create delicious, pillow-like, soft snickerdoodles. Expect around 10-15 cookies from your batch.
To start, cream together some vegan butter and sugar with an electric mixer. Add in the vanilla and apple cider vinegar and mix again with the electric mixer. Then add flour, cream of tartar, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, butter and sugar, and mix together by hand (don’t use the electric mixer for this part).
It will be quite dry at this point, so you will need to add in a touch of almond milk (or other non-dairy milk as you like) to get it to perfect dough. I recommend starting with one tablespoon of almond milk, and then adding more as you need. You can always add more, but it’s much more difficult to get right if you add too much. Roll the dough into balls and then dip the balls in cinnamon and sugar, bake for (about) 10 minutes and you have perfect vegan snickerdoodles!
Here is my favorite recipe for soft, fluffy, vegan snickerdoodle cookies:
- 1/2 cup (112g) Vegan Butter
- 2/3 cup (132g) White Sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 tsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 and 1/2 cups (188g) All Purpose Flour
- 1 tsp Cream of Tartar
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 and 1/4 tsp Cinnamon & Sugar mix
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1 -2 Tbsp Almond Milk (or other non-dairy milk)
- 4 Tbsp Cinnamon & Sugar mix
- Preheat the oven to 375°F
- Add the butter and sugar to an electric mixer and cream them together. Add in the vanilla and apple cider vinegar and mix in.
- Add in the flour, cream of tartar, baking soda, cinnamon and salt and mix in by hand (don’t use the electric mixer for this part) until it forms a crumbly dough.
- Then add in almond milk so that it forms into a proper cookie dough (Start with 1 tablespoon and add more as needed)
- Roll the cookie dough into balls and then roll the balls in the cinnamon and sugar mixture and place them onto a parchment lined baking tray. You can sprinkle more of the cinnamon sugar mixture on top of the dough balls before they go in the oven.
- Bake for 10 -15 minutes (check in around 10 minutes and see how they look – smaller cookies will cook faster than the thicker ones)
- Remove from the oven and enjoy!
I would love to hear from you guys – what are your favorite vegan treats for the holidays??